3.28.2011

Sunday Papers...To Buy or Not to Buy?

This is a question that has very recently come up in our house.  We started subscribing to the Sunday paper (for the coupons) back in January.  Its worked well, except for a couple of weeks when, for who knows what reason, our paper has not shown up in our driveway.  Oh well.  On these random Sundays, I've gone to the closest gas station and bought a paper there...but at the gas station I have noticed that, for the same price, I can buy a paper with *double coupon inserts*! For the coupon geek in me, this is like finding free money or something!  So the debate now is...do we cancel our subscription and just go buy the paper w/the double coupons?  Or do we buy the double coupon edition of the Sunday paper in addition to the paper we get delivered?  Hmmm...I'm thinking it would be cool to have the extra coupons so we might just keep the subscription AND buy the double coupon edition as well.

Why in the world would we want all the coupons, you ask?  Well, once a coupon is used, its gone!  Stores will often run the same deal on the same product, though, and if its something you use and need often, its usually a good idea to buy it cheaply and stock up rather than wait until you need it and buy it for a higher price.  If you have more than one coupon for an item, you can get more than one for the good price.

Things like toilet paper, shampoo, deodorant, toothpaste, etc are things people always need...These are items you can honestly get for FREE many times at CVS and other drug stores if you use coupons and the store rewards programs correctly.  True, you might not need them rightthisveryminute, but you will eventually, right?  And if you're like us, you always have company who comes to visit who happened to leave behind their shampoo, their toothpaste....something.  Its nice to have extras on hand.  Plus, you can donate as often as you want without having to give away the oldest, grossest stuff you have. :)

Whether you decide to subscribe to the paper or just go buy one at the local grocery store or gas station...make sure you look for the ones with the double coupon inserts!  I promise, it'll be worth your time!

Next post:  How to best organize these coupons once you've started collecting them!

2 comments:

Heatherly30 said...

So if you buy your paper from the store, how do you get the double coupon edition? Do you have to ask for it? I'll have to go to our newspaper website to see if they offer that. I bought two papers this past Sunday so I would have double coupons, but double coupons in one paper would be much more convenient! So then, I guess you answered one of my questions. When I see in your photos that you bought 3 tubes of toothpaste, I guess that means you had three coupons? (See, I've got a lot to learn!) Thanks for taking the time to explain all of this!

Anna said...

Heather - At the gas station I buy my papers from, the double coupon edition is wrapped in a banner that says "double coupons inside!" so its really obvious. :) And you're right -- when I buy multiple tube of toothpaste or whatever, its either because they were on sale (buy one get one free and I had a coupon to make it even cheaper) OR I had more than one coupon.