6.20.2011

Couponing in the Real World

I know there's a lot of drama around TLC's show "Extreme Couponing" and Lord knows I cannot even count the number of times I've been asked if I am one of those crazy hoarders that calls themselves "couponers."  I am NOT an "extreme couponer" if by "extreme" you mean someone like the crazies on TLC.  I am, however, a realistic couponer, and I save quite a bit of money by using coupons.

Most of the excuses I get from other people for not using coupons basically boil down to these two:

1.) "I just don't have the time."  (My response:  I guess you haven't been broke enough, because if you were saving 50-70% of each grocery bill I bet you would make the time!)

2.) "We don't eat processed food, and that's what most of the coupons are for, so they are irrelevant for my life."  (My response:  That's great that you are committed to healthy eating habits!  Why not save money on the other items you use -- shampoo, body wash, deodorant, etc -- so it doesn't hurt as much financially to buy all-organic meat/produce/dairy? Oh, and YES you can catch organic items on sale!!)

So, when I saw this article, written by Jenny from Southern Savers, I just had to share.  Please, whether you are new to couponing, curious (or confused) about how to get started*, or just flat-out anti-coupons, check this out and see what you think.  I'd love to chat about it, perhaps have a friendly debate (for those of you who are anti-couponing) and share how coupons have fit into our lives instead of becoming our lives.

*For those who are confused, please check out the other tabs at the top of the page to read about how we organize ourselves, how to read those crazy abbreviations and grocery store ads, etc.  Any questions?  Let me know!!

1 comment:

JoyFilled said...

I admit, that #2 is me! But for us it's not just food, we also don't do the deo/shampoo/body product stuff either. But I make my own so it evens out. LOL I do write to all the companies of products I love and almost always get coupons in return, so even though I may not get a regular supply of low value coupons for things, getting one or two high value ones (like $10 off) for the things we do buy regularly works really well for us!